Monday, March 2, 2009

Anticipation


I stopped by the Evergreen Cemetery in Everett today, like I do every year at this time. I was actually a day late. 99 years ago yesterday the boys gathered on the knoll on the north end took their last mortal breaths. First I cleaned off the marker I bought for Benny Jarnigan and then moved on to check on the others. Will Raycroft, Sid Jones, Frank Martin, Johnny Parzybok, Joe Pettit, Lewis Walker and Earl Longcoy were all paid a visit. On my way out I stopped over in the "new" section and paid my respects of "the Snow King" himself, Bill Harrington, resting with a shared headstone next to his beloved Lillian.

The mood wasn't all that somber. In fact, there was definitely a sense of anticipation. 99 years is a long time to be kept silent. I came away with a definite feeling the boys want me to knuckle down and get on with it. They definitely think it's time their story is told.

I promised them the next time I stopped by, sometime this summer, I'd have "Vis Major" in hand.

"Be patient," I told them. "A guy only has one shot at a deal like this. It's gotta be done right."

Anticipation; they feel it.

So do I.

1 comment:

The Viewliner Limited said...

I was told about your blog. Have some reading to do. Enjoying it very much.