Thursday, January 17, 2008

Winter Fallow



Winter. The land sits fallow, last year's crops long harvested, this year's crops still in my mind. Like the land, it seems the older I get, the more I want to just wait out winter. Fallow just like the soil. I put in my required 5 days a week at the feed mill, but to tackle the list of winter jobs during my evenings and week-ends, time when during spring, summer and fall I devote to working the land, requires more effort than to farm.



Winter. Occasionally snow covers the mud. Occasionally breaks in the overcast brighten my mood for a moment.

Winter. It seems even my mind goes fallow.

Winter. It is when I have the time to pursue personal goals yet it is the time I have the least energy to put forth the effort.

Winter. I need a dose of spring to make it through.

1 comment:

ebenezer zane said...

I really like that barn photo Martin. Feels like winter to me. Stark and beautiful.